Thursday, June 30, 2011

EL Homework_14 - Joshua Ma

What are your thoughts and feelings about depression, loneliness, heartbreaks, being different from your peers and having to put up a front? How do/would you deal with some of these issues?

Firstly, I feel that many people suffer from depression, and that it has been the cause of many a death. One factor I believe leads to depression is loneliness as one of the main causes of depression is being lonely, without friends to talk to for help with a problem, although sometimes it is also maybe from lack of attention from anyone such as parents/guardians. Another reason would be the expectations of friends and family, putting one under a great deal of pressure.

Secondly, I find that loneliness is not as great a problem as depression. I believe it to be one of the main factors that leads to depression as well. This is as, I find that loneliness is mainly due to lack of friends if one isolates himself/herself from others maybe due to problems which has caused him/her to be depressed, not wanting to admit them and refusing help from the rest.

Thirdly, I believe heartbreaks are very serious and have actually caused many to become depressed, mostly adolescents. Though I do not know much about heartbreaks, I feel that most should try their best to get over it. Also, I really find that most adolescents should not start relationships too young and early as they might not be mature enough to actually fathom a break-up, or to understand the commitments of a relationship.

Another opinion of mine is that being different from your peers is not such a bad thing although many would get depressed over the whole "fitting in with the society" thing. This is as everyone is unique and should try to find their own good friends who actually accept them for their own characters and who they are, rather than trying to fit in with supposed 'cool' kids.

Lastly, I strongly believe that putting up a front is indeed a bad way to cope with depression as the main root of the problem is not being tackled at all, though some find it necessary to do so for maybe their own pride. Therefore, with their pride in mind, they might refuse to let others know about what is bothering them, maybe feeling embarrassed about it, and thus, covering it up by living a lie.

If I were to face these issues, I would likely try to stop putting on a front first, then go to a counsellor or a teacher for help. I would try to get advice on what to do in my current situation and also what to do to prevent myself from becoming depressed again.

1 comment:

  1. It is very relevant to the topic and organised. Sentence structure is somewhat varied. Punctuation and spelling correct. Very straight forward. (by "straight forward", I mean not like a narrative or poetry or something)

    ReplyDelete